Monday, February 08, 2016

Magpie Mind.





Each morning as I traipse down the hill to the station I see magpies. Sometimes two (joy), sometimes three (a letter), sometimes four (something better), but more often then not - one! By this point some of you will be shouting, "Three's a girl, four's a boy!", I will merely point out that they certainly weren't until ITV set up Magpie as a rival to Blue Peter, filling all teenage boys with a new appreciation of older women, as Susan Stranks, one of the co-presenters was forty, FORTY!


Anyway, what to do about "one for sorrow", I of course, spit, salute and say "Good Morning Mr Magpie" but then have to decide what that sorrow could be, to prevent it being anything worse. I used to go for , "There'll be no copies of the Metro at the station." but have lately decided that, "There will be copies of the Metro at the station." may be more apposite. Sometimes I delay the train, and sometimes (when I'm late) I make the train arrive on time. Fridays  prove to be a real dilemma, they are treat days, when I have a Danish with my morning coffee, there are always Danishes, there is always coffee, so now I go for, "There'll be too much icing on the Danish.", and do you know, sometimes there is!

1 comment:

Lydia said...

Such a relief to find that I am not a robot. A charming reflection on a bird that once caused me deep trauma. A young Magpie came down the chimney and got stuck in the dining room, made a great deal of mess and broke a treasured Moorcroft plate. Hitchcock could have written the script. Can a Danish have too much icing?