Monday, November 07, 2011

A damp squib

Well it was an interesting week, firstly I discovered that brushing the flour off the halogen hob isn't the best thing to do when it's on, secondly I discovered that the mains water in Hemel is, fortunately, very cold and, thirdly, that you can flatspot your fingerprints.
Saturday is market day in Hemel, consequently if anyone has an idea how to use 15 Limes - it was a bargain - I'll be pleased to receive them.
Saturday night was Bonfire Night ( a night to celebrate the non-assassination of James VI, when large quantities of heavy metals and sulphur are injected into the atmosphere), I had decided to watch the Rugby Club/Winkwell display from my bedroom window (no I haven't regressed back to childhood - well....umm..no) as that would give me the best view, yes I could have gone there but it was miz. As it was I got to see the middle third of the display - physically not temporally. The ground fireworks I could distinguish by what colour the smoke went, such as "Oooh red fountain. Aaah green fountain. Oooh silver fountain.". One third of the aerials I could see, the rest disappeared into low cloud so the display consisted of, "There it goes, oh." BOOM followed by the bottom half of a sphere of coloured sparks falling from the clouds. The finale was a set of mortar shells, as these finales go it was fairly standard, a series of shells fired to different heights all with the same fuse-timing to give one a stratified series of blooms, the higher the bigger. Well, we got the bottom half, the big shells disappeared into the cloud never to reappear, not even the flash from their explosion penetrating the murk. Later, in a masterpiece of the obvious, V for Vendetta was on the TV.

No comments: